Your skin is not just the largest organ but the foot soldier of your body that wades off infections and protects it from external stresses. It also is the first sign of youth and health. However, with time, your skin gradually loses its ability to do its job optimally and needs to be helped.
In the market brimming with all kinds of products making tall claims, it could be quite a task to find the right kind of product that provides you the best for your skin. The clay mask has been embraced by the skincare industry as a product that is not just good for your appearance but for holistic wellness as well
Read on to know everything about clay masks right here.
What are Clay Masks?
Clay masks as the name suggests, are masks formulated of various types of clay and are used on both face and body. These masks not only treat your skin with the gentleness it deserves but is also extremely easy to use.
How Do Clay Masks Work?
Anyone who has used a clay mask is familiar with the coolness it brings when you first apply it on your face and the eventual hardening of the mask. The experience you go through using a clay mask is all due to minerals that are found in the clay. The molecules in the clay expands and swells up when wet and binds with the three things in your skin: oil, water, and impurities. As the clay dries, it absorbs and draws out excess oil and impurities from your skin.
What are the Benefits of Using a Clay Mask?
The history of using a face mask is not a new one. It dates back to ancient Rome when it was used not just for skincare but as an insect repellent. When it comes to your natural skincare regime in the 21st century, clay masks are considered essential. Regardless of what skin type you possess, clay masks are perfect for you. They are a favorite for the immense benefits that they bring to your skin.
- Gets your face rid of build-up impurities:Your skin works hard to provide the best protection to you all year round. Pollution, harsh weather conditions, sunlight, oil, and dirt are some of the regular enemies they have to battle daily. All this accumulates on your skin makes it appear dull and lackluster. It is important to exfoliate the dead skin cells to expose the fresher, newer glowing skin . Clay masks are excellent for exfoliating your skin. The function of drawing the impurities and overabundance of oil is especially beneficial for people having oily and acne-prone skin types. With a clay mask bid adieu to blocked pores and extra shiny face.
- Exfoliates your skin and enhances your complexion: Our skin is the first victim of the sway of time. As the body slows down, various environmental stresses adversely impact it much more than ever. The complexion that was flawless and clear, becomes dull and rough. It also becomes an issue with people who have oily skin Regular application of a mild clay face mask will not only exfoliate your skin but will also replace the oily look with matte by cleansing off impurities and opening every clogged pore. Both ways your complexion will thank you for the clay mask.
- Moisturizes your skin: Hydration is one of the critical indicators of healthy skin. Loss of hydration makes your skin dry and accelerates the aging process. The application of clay mask acts as an effective moisturizer for your skin by hydrating it. Moreover, daily usage of a clay mask augments your skin’s natural moisturizing
How to Use a Clay Mask Effectively?
Any clay mask that you integrate with your skincare routine would shower you with rewards. However, the correct procedure of clay mask application makes the experience even better.
- Step 1:Cleanse your face with warm water and a gentle face wash
- Step 2:Make the mask as per the instructions given on the packaging
- Step 3:Apply the mask using gentle strokes of your fingertips. Cover your entire face except for the area under your eyes.
- Step 4:Let the mask sit on your face and weave its magic. The period can vary from 10 - 30 depending upon the thickness of your mask.
- Step 5: Rinse the clay off the clay with warm water.
Make your skin more receptive to the goodness of your clay mask by following your face mask with a scrub. Cleansing and scrubbing post the mask clears your every pore letting the active formula of your face mask penetrate to the depths of your skin.
Clay masks have distinct advantages over peel off masks and face scrubs.Peel off masks create a thin layer of film over your face which can then be peeled off gently after a few minutes. However, peel off are unable to penetrate within the depths of your skin. Due to their gentleness and anti bacterial properties, clay masks are better for most skin types vis a- vis peel off masks or scrubs.